Dry skin is a skin type. This means that dry skin is a predisposed genetic skin type.
Dry skin tends to be a long term skin concern, which affects the skin on the face as well as the body. Insufficient oil is produced within the skin leading to an impaired skin barrier. The natural oils within the skin help to trap moisture within the skin.
Without the presence of sufficient oil, trans-epidermal water loss occurs, meaning the level of water in the skin decreases and the skin becomes dry. While genetics are the main cause for dry skin, there are other factors which may exacerbate the condition. These factors could be an underactive thyroid, hormone imbalances, medications or simply prolonged untreated dehydrated skin. Any of these factors interfere with the skins production of natural oils that assist in the skins protection. Less oil within the skin creates sensitive flaky skin that feels tight and dry. Ageing occurs more rapidly in this case, as the skin loses the ability to provide the protection needed to combat damage caused by environmental factors. Dry skins show visible evidence of this damage, resulting in more prominent lines and wrinkles.
Supplementing the skin with the correct skin care routine, rich in suitable oils is the best way to soothe and treat dry skin. Its imperative to find products that will supply skin barrier protection while replenishing the oils back into the skin.
Morning and Evening Skin Cleansing Routine
1. Cleanse morning and evening with DermaFix Hydra-Silk Cleanser. An emollient based milky cleanser, or DermaFix Gentle Cleansing Gel, a mild botanical rich cleanser with anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Exfoliate 2-3 times per week with DermaFix-DermaPolish, a gentle enzyme exfoliant, assisting in the removal of dark redundant skin cells.
3. Follow with the application of DermaFix Revitalising Toner, preparing the skin for the absorption of active ingredients into the skin.
Morning and Evening Skin Care Routine
1. After cleansing, apply DermaFix Ceramide Complex, ensure to use friction movements to ensure penetration, helping to repair skin barriers, and relieve dry skin concerns.
2. Follow with the application of DermaFix Bio-Effective Cream, helping to restore the essential fatty acid content of the skin, necessary for skin health and barrier function.
3. DermaFix Vitamin Therapy Masque may be incorporated 2-3 times per week for superior hydration benefits. Either as a masque, or it may be left on the skin overnight, as an overnight hydrating treatment.
4. In the mornings, always follow with DermaFix DermaShield SPF 50 High protection UVA/UVB sunscreen.